Access to local DN through I-UPF in ULCL scenario

Hi,

I’m trying to configure an environment with two UPFs (I-UPF and PSA-UPF) so I-UPF forwards traffic to the internal network. Is this possible in free5GC 3.4.0? All traffic captured is going through PSA-UPF even though I have configured paths in the uerouting.yaml file.

I have followed two tutorials without success:
https://github.com/s5uishida/free5gc_ueransim_ulcl_sample_config
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEMrjKRWarw

@free5GC Can someone help with that?

Here is my config:
smfcfg.yaml (5.3 KB) uerouting.yaml (1.3 KB)

Hi, paraadox.20,

The ULCL feature in free5GC v3.4.0 or later versions won’t work due to the lack of forwarding parameters in FAR creation. You might want to try using free5GC v3.3.0. We have provided sample ULCL configurations in our free5gc-compose repository, and we are currently working on supporting this feature.

Regards,

Hi @lyz508,
Thank you for your response. I’ve downgraded the free5gc version to 3.3.0, and now ULCL works!

I have one additional question. Do you know if it is possible to create a MEC scenario where I have multiple I-UPFs (traffic to local DNs) which are connected to the same PSA-UPF (access to the internet)? Should I have separate SMF and AMF for each I-UPF?

Hi, @paraadox.20,

You could try using the specificPath in uerouting.yaml to specify different data paths for different UEs, redirecting the traffic to different local DNs.

Regards,

Hi @lyz508,

You are right. I was able to create an environment containing 2x gNB, 2x I-UPF and 1x PSA-UPF, and traffic goes as defined in the uerouting file. Thank you once again.

Last question. Do you know if it is possible to manually run the handover procedure using UERANSIM? I couldn’t find any information about it on the Internet and was wondering if you have any experience with that.

Hi, @paraadox.20,

It’s impossible to manually run the handover procedure because UERANSIM doesn’t support it.

Regards,

Hi,
since there haven’t any replies from you, we decide to close this topic.
If you have any further questions about this topic, please message the admin or create another topic.
Thanks!

Best regards,