Free5gc GTP Payload doesn't contain PDU session container in UL and DL

Hi All,

Recently I found out that the GTP payload is not forwarded with the external PDU Session container that is required to verify the PDU Session ID and QFI in the user plane packets. Otherwise it may lead to conflicts when different UE with same DL-TEID are attached with free5gc.
Has anyone came across the same ? Please discuss your points.
Thank you,
free5gc_ping_packets.pcapng (3.8 MB)

Hi Simran,

Did you validate the QER entry in the gtp5g kernel module?

Regards,
Muthuraman

@Simran

This issue was already fixed.
Please refer to this:

Hi @muthuramanecs03g,

Thanks for the quick response.
The UPF is handling the packets ( that have PDU Session extension header) correctly. But the DL packets doesn’t have the PDU Session container.
Is there any flag or hardcode something that I need to change at gtp5g kernal module for QER entry ?

Thank You
Simran

Hi @Simran,

In gtp5g, you can refer to the function gtp5g_push_header() whether the DL packet encapsulates the extension header or not.

I suspect, there is some problem with your DL PDR rule action is not set as FORWARD.

Hi @muthuramanecs03g,
I checked the same with UERANSIM if free5gc is sending PDU session container header in DL packets.
@free5GC Can you please comment something here ? ueransim_packets.pcapng (4.3 KB)
I have attached the pcap for your reference.

Thank you.

Hi @Simran,

Could you please give me the SMF and UPF PFCP packet trace?

Hi @muthuramanecs03g,

Sure, PFA logs for UERANSIM. I am not sure if they can help you.
I tried setting SMF and PFCP logs to different levels, but it seems only info level logs are present here. log_free5gc.tar (110 KB)

Thanks.

Hi @Simran,

The log message only confirm the what message transaction in between SMF and UPF, doesn’t show us the entire payload of that transaction.

I need a wireshark capture of interface local interface since your SMF and UPF ip addresses 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.8 respectively.

time=“2021-05-17T11:55:52+05:30” level=info msg="[PFCP] Handle PFCP session establishment request" category=Util component=UPF
time=“2021-05-17T11:55:52+05:30” level=info msg="[PFCP] Session Establishment Response" category=Util component=UPF
time=“2021-05-17T11:55:52+05:30” level=info msg=“In HandlePfcpSessionEstablishmentResponse” category=PFCP component=SMF
time=“2021-05-17T11:55:52+05:30” level=info msg=“Remove Request Transaction [2]\n” category=PFCP component=LIB
time=“2021-05-17T11:55:52+05:30” level=info msg="[PFCP] Handle PFCP session modification request" category=Util component=UPF
time=“2021-05-17T11:55:52+05:30” level=info msg="[PFCP] Session Modification Response" category=Util component=UPF
time=“2021-05-17T11:55:52+05:30” level=info msg=“In HandlePfcpSessionModificationResponse” category=PFCP component=SMF
time=“2021-05-17T11:55:52+05:30” level=info msg="[SMF] PFCP Modification Resonse Accept" category=PduSess component=SMF
time=“2021-05-17T11:55:52+05:30” level=info msg=“PFCP Session Modification Success[1]\n” category=PFCP component=SMF

Hi @muthuramanecs03g,
I am not able to upload the capture due to limit on file size.

Hi @Simran,

You can upload it into google drive and share with me ([email protected])

Hi @muthuramanecs03g,

I have shared the Capture with you over email. Please let me know if you find any progress on this.

Thanks.

Hi @Simran,

There is no QER in PFCP Session Establishment/Modification request. I can see GTP-U carry an extension header but UPF didn’t send a response with the extension header due to no availability of QER.

I think the problem with gNB NGAP IEs, I will get back to you the reason once I got information from the SMF owner.

Hi @Simran,

May I know your free5GC source code version? like latest or different version

Hi @muthuramanecs03g,
Please find the latest capture after cloning gtp5g and libgtp5gnl from free5gc git repo, Now at PFCP establishment request there is QER entry but it is not present in PFCP session modification request.

Let me know if anything needs to be changed in NGAP IEs, This capture also has the ngap msgs.
I am using the latest version of free5gc.
cap_31May_pfcp.pcapng (3.8 KB)
Tank you.

Hi @Simran,

Now at PFCP establishment request there is QER entry but it is not present in PFCP session modification request.

Not necessary in PFCP Session Modification Request because it is found in PFCP Session Est.Req.

Let me know if anything needs to be changed in NGAP IEs, This capture also has the ngap msgs.
I am using the latest version of free5gc.

No need to change.

How about GTP-U packet? Is it carried in Extension header related to QoS?

Hi @muthuramanecs03g,

No, Still it is not carrying the extension header.

@Simran

Did you update gtp5g module to the latest version?

Hi @simran,

Can you get the information of gtp5g like “modinfo gtp5g”

Hi @free5GC, @muthuramanecs03g,

Please check the following details-
free5gc -
commit 04340eb8493ba98178ecc725e38ed8677f08d16e (HEAD, tag: v3.0.5)

Other details are attached, gtp5g and libgtp5gnl is on version 0.3.1
gtp5gInfo