Is it possible to run free5gc core on AWS? If so How can we open SCTP ports in AWS instances?

Hi @free5GC team,
Thank you for your great work!
I was wondering if it is possible to run free5gc in an AWS instance. I have tried installing it but the issue I face is when I am trying to run a gNB simulator from my local computer and want to connect to free5gc AMF running in AWS, the SCTP connection gets refused.
If anyone in the forum has tried this before or know for sure that this cannot be done in AWS please let me know
thank you in advance,
Manoj

I run free5gc on a remote instance, too, and connect my gNodeBs through a VPN. Keep in mind that SCTP+NGAP is unauthenticated (so you’d need the VPN for that, too). I’m not on AWS though, they might require some additional settings to allow the VPN.

I’m using Wireguard, which is pretty easy to set up & works with SCTP. If you have trouble installing WG, I made some notes for kernel 5.0.0-23. Wireguard on Linux 5.0.0-23-generic (for Free5GC) · GitHub

@mrlnc, Thank you for your reply.
even when I run gnB simulator on aws instance within the same VPC(I am no expert in aws, but I think its equivalent to running multiple VMs on one computer, in which case it is a private network in itself), I am getting SCTP abort packets from aws instance with amf as a reply to SCTP init packets from aws instance with gNB.
any idea why that happens.
Again thank you for help
Manoj

Hi manoj1919,

I have been able to use sctp in aws.

I will suggest that you check your security group configurations…

Since you are within the same VPC, maybe you first of all try to put both free5gc and gNB simulator instances in the same security group and allow all traffic.

1 Like

HI, I am planning to run free5GC on aws , i will try to run gNB sim on same VPC first but after that , I want use hardware gNB at my home or in office , so as suggested above I will do VPN to AWS VPC . on that VPN connected network i will connect gNB so gNB will able reach 5Gcore. if we can ping from home network to 5Gcore IPs then gNB should also get connected to 5G core, is that understanding right ? is there am I missing something ?

@ashmanpan, no idea , I gave up trying to implement 5gC on aws. But please keep us posted of your experiences with your plan. Thank you