Network slicing with commercial UE

Hello!

Has anyone managed to establish network slicing with commercial UE, which supports SA, using Free5GC? If so, how did you menage to do it?

Hi,

What kind of network slicing you are talking about?

I mean for UE to use for example slice URLLC which is suitable for handling low latency communications, or slice eMBB or MIoT. Some slices are defined in AMF and SMF .yaml files as s_nssai parameter, but can I define more slices and how could I determine which slice UE is using?

Thanks for the reply

Yes, you can define more slices just like how they did with the default config.

To connect to the slice, the UE should send “Requested NSSAI” info during the registration phase. If the UE is allowed for that slice (configured in the webconsole), the UE is now able to send the traffic through that slice after the PDU establishment. Also, a UE can connect to multiple slice. If a GTP-U tunnel is up, you are now successfully connecting to a slice. You may determine which slice you’re currently using based on the information of tunnels.

I’m not pretty sure which commercial UE you currently have. If the UE is capable for multiple slice connections, you will probably find the instruction in the manual.

Yes, I see GTP QUIC / GTP TCP protocol messages in wireshark, however I am not seeing any packets, where UE would send packets containing request of NSSAI, maybe i just missed the signaling part. Btw I am using Samsung S23 model.

To my best knowledge, GTP protocol messages won’t contain any NSSAI info. Maybe have a look on NAS or NGAP protocol? You might find something useful.

2 Likes