OAM Or Telemetry support to monitor 5GC Components

Hello Team,

Please let me know whether free5GC can expose the 5GC core-related measurements and KPIs of the different Network Functions. If yes, can you please point me to a reference link? If not, is this something planned in the future? This feature would really help us to start exploring free5C further. Requesting a response. Much appreciated.

Regards.

Hi @engineerbharath12,

Some NFs implement the API for OAM (e.g. OAM for AMF, OAM for SMF, and OAM for PCF).
I am not sure if these are what you asked for or if the features defined in TS 28.552 are what you want.

Hello John,

Thanks for your response. Yes, the PM mentioned in 28.552 is the information I was asking for. From your reference, it looks like certain NFs expose some of these measurements, and we shall consume them via APIs.
Taking an example of the AMF, just wanted to understand if there is a way to use the UERANsim to increase or decrease the RegisteredUEContext numbers to test the scale and export these measurements as telemetry. Any guidance or reference on such implementation will be helpful.

Hi @engineerbharath12,

The PM defined in TS 28.552 is not implemented in current free5GC.

Taking an example of the AMF, just wanted to understand if there is a way to use the UERANsim to increase or decrease the RegisteredUEContext numbers to test the scale and export these measurements as telemetry.

You may refer to the Usage of UERANSIM to create multiple UEs, then the core network will have the corresponding RegisteredUEContexts.
You can use curl http://127.0.0.18:8000/namf-oam/v1/registered-ue-context to get RegisteredUEContexts from AMF. (I use the default setting, so the SBI of AMF would be 127.0.0.18:8000)

1 Like

@Johnson3310 is it currently possible to get such performance stats for an UPF component i.e no of GTP packets between ENB and UPF and towards N6 interface ? Any OAM implementation is available or planned or any other suggesstions ? This could be really helpful.

Hi @engineerbharath12,

Currently, UPF doesn’t support any OAM operation, but the webconsole will support some related features such as traffic statistics in the near future.