UPF Traffic Duplication

Hi there!

I was wondering if the free5GC UPF supports traffic duplication and how I would configure it. My goal is sending user traffic to two destination addresses instead of only one. This could be a use-case for the branching point feature, where traffic is duplicated by an i-UPF and sent to two PSA UPFs for redundancy reasons.

The PFCP session rules in the SMF code have a single FAR. I noted that there is a “Dupl” field in the pfcpType.ApplyAction struct, but I see only a single ForwardingParameters option for a FAR. So adding a second forwarding configuration to a single PDR does not work.

To add a second PDR, I would need to create an entire Tunnel and add the PDR with the second FAR. However, the tunnel would have a different TEID and thus traffic from the gNB would have a different header.

What would be an acceptable procedure to add a second FAR to one Tunnel and duplicate traffic?

Cheers,
LaumiH

PS: The specification describes such a use-case in TS 123.501, Figure 5.33.2.2-2. But what I want to do is both encapsulate GTP-U traffic and send out the N6 link to the data network at the same time.

A workaround for me would be duplicating traffic outside the UPF, so using mechanisms on the host machine itself. I was just wondering if such a scenario seems achievable.

Hi there. Unfortunately, even modifying the code for containing multiple FARs. The gtp5g doesn’t support multiple FARs so it is not achievable so far.

Hi,
since there haven’t any replies from you, we decide to close this topic.
If you have any further questions about this topic, please message the admin or create another topic.
Thanks!

Best regards,